Robotic process automation (RPA) refers to software allowing to automate repeatable processes that were typically performed manually. The term has been booming since 2015, initially driven by (backoffice) business process environments. Lately, coupled with the hype around artificial intelligence (AI), the topics of RPA and what is now termed 'intelligent automation' have come to the attention of decision-makers across all functions in the organization – and have captured interest even at board level as they are increasingly perceived as key enablers (and components) of broader digital transformation initiatives.
The Boom of RPA – and its Relation to Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- The origins of RPA
- The blurry boundaries between RPA and AI
- The rise of automation and the impact on the workforce
RPA is Challenging the Process Automation Industry
- BPM is challenged
- RPA applied to business processes
- RPA – threat or opportunity for BPO?
The Provider Landscape around RPA
- RPA software vendors
- The role of C&SI vendors – the emergence of RPA-related services